Advanced Trauma Care for Nurses® (ATCN®) Instructor Course
The Advanced Trauma Care for Nurses (ATCN®) Instructor Course is a two-day course. It is designed for training Instructors for the ATCN® Student Course.
The Instructor Course consists of a variety of teaching-how-to-teach components that are directly related to the ATCN® core content:
- principles and philosophies of teaching the course;
- management of various student behaviors;
- techniques for skills-teaching;
- techniques for leading group discussion;
- techniques for critiquing and assessing student's performance;
- There is no formal and standard assessment for a participant's ability. Instead, the performance and the attitude of the participant will be evaluated throughout the entire course. A participant with unsatisfactory performance will be requested to retake the Course later.
Participants for the ATCN® Instructor Course should fulfil all the following requirements:
- A student in the ATCN® Instructor Course must be a licensed registered nurse who has successfully completed the ATCN® Student Course.
- The successful completion of a Student Course must be current and within 4 years.
- Written recommendation from the Course Director of the ATCN® Student Course they attended, or documentation verifying ATCN® Instructor Potential.
- The student must also successfully complete all components of the ATCN® Instructor Course.
- Following the successful completion of the Instructor Course, the student becomes an ATCN® Instructor Candidate and must be observed teaching in a subsequent ATCN® Course within one year. Sign off includes being monitored at a skill station and during practice / testing of initial assessment.
- The Candidate must receive a satisfactory evaluation by an approved ATCN® Course Director (or instructor) while being observed teaching in a subsequent ATCN® Student Course.
- The Instructor Candidate will agree to ensure that personal and/or institutional bias and / or non- ATLS® or ATCN® materials are not included in any part of the ATCN® Course.
- The Instructor Candidate will adhere to all ATCN® Policies and Procedures, ATLS® content, and ATCN® curriculum and uphold the standards of professionalism required of ATCN® Instructor.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESSFUL INSTRUCTOR COURSE COMPLETION
Requirements for successful completion of the ATCN® Instructor Course are:
- Attendance at all sessions of the Instructor Course
- Presentation of a 5-10 minute micro-teaching (videotaped) presentation
- Presentation of an ATCN® skills station
- Direction of an Initial Assessment practice and testing station
In all sessions of the ATCN® Instructor Course, the student must receive satisfactory evaluations in order to successfully complete this portion of the ATCN® Instructor requirements.
Registered nurses who are committed to trauma education.
Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
The University of Hong Kong
21 Sassoon Road
Pokfulam, Hong Kong
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
9 per course
Waived (By invitation only)
The Course Manual will be provided to enrolled participants at least four weeks before the course.
No accommodation is provided.
Overseas candidates must ensure that they have obtained a valid VISA to visit Hong Kong.
9-10 September 2019, Monday & Tuesday
To be announced.