Advanced Trauma Life Support® (ATLS®) Student Course
The ATLS® Program was developed by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (ACS-COT) , aiming at improving the care for trauma patients. The Course teaches well-established treatment techniques and approaches in a systematic manner by presenting a concise method of establishing assessment and management priorities in the care of the trauma patient.
The ATLS® Program emphasises the first hour of initial assessment and primary management of the injured patient, starting at the point in time of injury and continuing through initial assessment, life-saving intervention, re-evaluation, stabilisation, and when needed, transfer to a facility in which the patient can receive specialised care, such as a trauma centre.
The ATLS® Program has been exported to nearly 30 countries all over the world.
The China-Hong Kong Chapter of the ACS promulgated the ATLS® Program in collaboration with the Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong.
The Inaugural ATLS® Course in Hong Kong was held in January 1997 under the auspices of the ACS-COT. Up to September 2016, a total of 136 Student Courses and 13 Instructor Courses were organised and trained over 2,100 doctors from various specialties and hospitals.
Based on well-established principles and objectives of trauma management, the course is intended to provide doctors with ONE acceptable method for SAFE, immediate management and the basic knowledge necessary to:
- assess the patient's condition rapidly and accurately;
- resuscitate and stabilize the patient on a priority basis;
- determine if the patient's needs will likely exceed a facility's capabilities;
- arrange for the patient's interhospital transfer; and
- assure that optimum care is provided each step of the way.
The Student Course is a two-and-half-day course, consisting of pre- and post-course tests, core content lectures, case presentations, discussions, development of life-saving manipulative skills, practical laboratory experience, and a final performance proficiency evaluation. Criteria for successful completion of the ATLS® Course includes:
- full attendance at the entire course;
- adherence to course content and the ability to demonstrate practical skills as outlined in the ATLS® textbook;
- achieving a minimum score of 75% on the written post-test; and
- successful completion of a final assessment station.
Upon completion of the Course, doctors should feel confident in implementing the trauma skills taught in this Course. The qualification of an ATLS® Provider status is valid for four years. More details of the ATLS program and its regulations are available here.
Note: Live swine are used in Surgical Skills Practicum
Doctors with at least one year of clinical experience
For courses taught in Hong Kong: Course manual, teaching medium and materials are in English.
For courses taught in Shenzhen: Course manual, teaching medium and materials are in Chinese (Putonghua).
Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
The University of Hong Kong
21 Sassoon Road
Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Number of Participants
16 per course
- Local participants: HK$ 16,000*
*Trainees of the following specialties will receive full sponsorships from the Hospital Authority if they attend and finish the whole course.
- Accident & Emergency
- Clinical Oncology
- Ear, Nose & Throat
- Family Medicine
- Intensive Care Unit
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Orthopaedics & Traumatology
- Nuclear Medicine
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
Applicants who wish to be considered for HA sponsorship must submit the following once the enrolment is confirmed:
- A letter issued by the employer stating the applicant's current employing hospital, specialty and training status
- A cheque payment of HK$16,000 made payable to the "CHKC-ACS". The cheque shall be returned upon completion of the course.
HA sponsorship will not apply in case of late cancellation. Please see Cancellation Policy for details.
- Mainland participants: HK$15,000 (Around RMB 13,000)
- Overseas participants: US$2,000
The Course Manual will be provided to enrolled participants four weeks before the course.
No accommodation is provided.
Overseas candidates must ensure that they have obtained a valid VISA to visit Hong Kong.
9-10 March 2023, Thursday to Friday (English Course in Hong Kong)
18-19 May 2023, Thursday to Friday (English Course in Hong Kong)
29-30 June 2023, Thursday to Friday (English Course in Hong Kong)
21-22 September 2023 , Thursday to Friday (English Course in Hong Kong)
9-10 November 2023, Thursday to Friday (English Course in Hong Kong)
14-15 December 2023, Thursday to Friday (English Course in Hong Kong)