Definitive Surgical Trauma Care® (DSTC®) Course
The Definitive Surgical Trauma Care (DSTC®) Course aims at training surgeons involved with the care of multiply injured patients. It combines lecture-based learning and case discussions with demonstrated and practiced surgical skills practicum. It focuses on the following key areas:
- Assessment of the probabilities of organ injury
- Technical surgical strategies
- Decision-making in trauma surgery
- Group discussions drawing on the experiences of faculty members
- Practical sessions for skill training
The DSTC® Course is under the patronage and supervision of The International Association for Trauma Surgery and Intensive Care (IATSIC). The latter is one of the founding components of the Société International de Chirugie (International Surgical Society or ISS). By the end of 2009, more than 150 courses have been conducted in over 20 countries. The DSTC® Course is designed by surgeons for surgeons and surgical trainees. It is not an advanced version of the ATLS®; instead, its primary goal is to enhance the acquisition of technical skills applicable to acute and intensive care for major trauma. It also serves to update participants on the latest trends and development in the field of Trauma Care. In line with the multidisciplinary approach in modern trauma care, both anaesthesiologists and operating room scrub nurses are also integral members of the DSTC®Team.
By the end of the course, the student will have received training to allow:
- Enhanced knowledge of the surgical physiology of the trauma patient
- Enhanced surgical decision-making in trauma
- Enhanced surgical techniques in the management of major trauma
- An improved awareness of the treatment possibilities in major trauma and their evidence base.
Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
The University of Hong Kong
21 Sassoon Road
Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Number of Participants
16 per course
All participants must be Licensed Medical Practitioners, and should be actively involved in trauma care. Prior successful completion of the ATLS Provider Course is highly desirable.
The Course Manual will be provided to enrolled participants four weeks before the course.
No accommodation is provided.
Overseas candidates must ensure that they have obtained a valid VISA to visit Hong Kong.
To be announced